RE: Lightning hits

"Bierney, Timothy K(Z99510)" <TBIERNEY@apsc.com> writes:

> Doesn't the Electrical Code ( & law) require the
> tower ground and electrical supply to be connected by
> copper?

The National Electrical Code allows the use of aluminum or copper-clad aluminum conductors where they are not in direct contact with with masonry or earth or where subject to corrosive conditions.  Insulation is not required and the size of the conductor must be as large as the size of the transmitters lead-in or AWG 10 copper, bronze, or copper-clad steel, whichever is bigger.

The NEC also stipulates the antenna must be grounded at the nearest accessible location.  If that location is not the building power service safety ground, then a bonding jumper is required between the antenna and the safety ground.

All that said, a far more practical (and most likely safer) method is to ground the tower immediately at the base with a triad of rods, interconnected with large bonding jumpers.  Running a long lead to the house's ground is not something I would recommend.
73,
Jerry, K5OE