Re: Re: Question "nesting Helix antennas"

I have done some modelling of concentric helices recently, using NEC2;
in particular, a 13 cm helix inside one for 23 cm.  I found that it
works fairly well provided the 13 cm helix is a bit longer than the 23
cm one, so it sticks out (I found that 12 turns for the L-band helix and
24 turns for the S-band one gave only 1 dB degradation in gain at S-band
(14.4 dBi versus 15.6 dBi for the S-band helix alone; 1 wavelength
circumference & 10 deg pitch).  The impedance was altered some, but no
matter.  The 23 cm helix is hardly affected at all.

 The problem I have with this structure is I expect (but haven't
verified) that there is considerable coupling between helices, possibly
making full duplex operation difficult.  A good diplexing filter would
solve that problem, however, I think.

I am using the old NEC Wires program that Brian Beezley used to sell.
It came with a wonderful DOS program that generates helix wire files
quickly and easily.

73,
Bob Snyder KD1VV