Re: Question "nesting Helix antennas" (was ) JavaScript Axial-Mode Helix Calculator

I suspect there will be interaction.  You would either need to try it, or
model it in NEC.  Also, I would be positive that you would not
get away with transmitting into one nested turn without blowing the
preamps/converters of another turn.  But you probably could pull off a
multiband RX antenna.  The really good thing about AO-40 and microwaves is
that the 23 cm antenna is the largest.. the skeleton
for the helix I'm building for that band (15 turns, about 15 dBic gain) is
that the dimensions are only 35" long, 3.25" diameter of the turns, and 9.25
in radius of the reflector.  Couple that with a
13cm helix 20 turns, it will be nearly half that size-- reflector 5"
diameter, 25" length, 1.75" diameter.

Above those bands, IMHO, is dish territory.  (and I bet I'll end up using a
dish for mode-s.  Dishes are wonderful.. even less picky than helices)  18"
RCA dishes (even two if necessary) are DIRT cheap now.  Feeds can be horns,
dual band horns, helices, dipole splash feeds, etc.  So there is many
different configurations that can be used.  One of the coolest ideas is to
rotate a "turret" at the feedpoint of an offset fed dish and have feeds
rotate in and out.. only one is active at a time-- but just rotate, and
bands change.
This really can only work if the dish is offset fed, though.

So don't be discouraged, there are going to be MANY ways of skinning this
cat.  Its going to be soooo cool...

Fred W0FMS