Re: Preamps

G Payton wrote:

> Excuse me if this is not the proper place to pose questions regarding a
> new-comer to satellites establishing his station.
>
> As I see it, regardless of what I choose to work (Analog, digital or
> others), I will need good preamps.  I am considering the ARR SP144VDG &
> SP432VDG models.  My question is about "pole mounting" at the antennas.
> These do not appear to be constructed for such.  Are there other models
> from ARR (or other brands) for outside pole mounting?
>
> Possibly, some of you may suggest an weather tight enclosure.
>
> Truthfully, I am really starting from the ground floor on this and doing
> a lot of reading.  I still have to make the decision of what mode of
> satellites to start with.  It probably will be the analog sats till I
> get the hang of it and progress from there.  Again, I'll have to decide
> upon antennas too.  Are the Omni's that effectual?
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Jerry  N5GPC
> Grand Prairie, TX

The use of mast mounted preamps for 144mhz and especially 70cm are a
definite must.
The models you mention are, I think, what I have installed in December
1992.  They were
bought from DownEast Microwave.  I have had three lightning hits since that
time
and lost several pieces of electronic gear, but never a preamp.  Kinda
pricey but a
real good product...Go For It!  and Good luck...
Bill Miller   kk2l@sunline.net