Re: Using WISP with TNC3S - config KISS?

Hi Ulf,

One correction below.

Ulf Kumm wrote:

> > ... I need help with is setting up WISP to use the TNC3S from Symek.
> > My TNC3S has a 1200 baud modem on port one ... port 2 is 9600 baud
> > modem for the satellites that needs to be switched into the KISS mode
> > for use with WISP.
>
> Let's assume, RSKISS.apl runs on the TNC3. All received data from
> both modems is sent to the PC as KISS packets including the 'port'
> nibble set to "0" for those packets received by port 1 and set to
> "1" for the packets received by port 2. As WISP ignores this
> information, data from both ports is treated equal and processed
> by WISP. This about RECEIVING with TNC3 and WISP.
>
> When you want to transmit with TNC3S (RSKISS), you have to adress
> the port with every KISS packet to tell the TNC3, which port should
> be used for transmission of this packet.
>
> As far as I know, WISP has this adress fixed set to "0". So,
> transmission via Port 2 is not possible until WISP allows more
> flexible adressing of multiport TNC.

WiSP3215 already has the capability of activating the PTT on either modem.
In the Satellite Setup | TNC tab, the TX Port parameter is set to 0
(default) to transmit on modem 1 and set to 1 to transmit on modem 2.  I
have tested the PTT activation and it does work.

> Usually, the TNC3 is equipped with a 9600 baud modem on port1 and
> a 38400 baud modem on port2. With this combination, you can receive
> sat data with 9600 or 38400 and transmission is always done with 9600.
>
> To use a 1200 AFSK / 9600 FSK TNC3 for satellite in KISS mode, you
> should just swap the modems to have 9600 on port 1 and 1200 on port 2.
>
> WISP will have no problem as port 1 is its default setting.
>
> The question is, which mode (hostmode or KISS) you use with the
> 1200 baud APRS. If APRS uses KISS but doesn't support multiport
> TNC, there will be the same problem as before.
>
> Note: the oroginal KISS protocol specification by Phil Karn, KA9Q in
> August 1986 defines the upper nibble of the command byte as the
> port address. So, TNC with up to 16 ports can be controlled.
> The SMACK enhancment of KISS adds a checksum to the KISS packets
> and uses the MSB of the command byte to distinguish KISS and SMACK
> packets. So, with SMACK, you can still control TNC with up to 8 ports.
> As all TNC before TNC3 had one port only, the 'multiport feature'
> of KISS has fallen into oblivion but should be used with all new
> KISS concepts to take advantage from the modern multiport TNC.

At the present time WiSP may have a problem transmitting fill requests with
the Test for Smack TNC parameter turned on (TNC Tab).  If the user gets a
NO-5 response from the satellite, turn this parameter OFF.

> > My understanding is if I make these files and place them into the
> satellite
> > directory WISP will use them to switch the TNC into the KISS mode only
> > during a pass and when the pass is over, switch back to normal.
>
> Adressing of port 1 / port 2 cannot be done permanently by some
> setting but must be done with every single packet using the port-
> adress nibble of command byte.

WiSP3215 does not have any problems in this respect.  It will copy from
either modem automatically without any special "switch" being enabled.

> > Anybody have some samples of these files? I have not been able to find any
> > information on how to go from the KISS mode back to another mode.

You do not need these files to do what you want to do.

--
73, Roy

Internet: w0sl@amsat.org