Re: A-40 GPS

Greg,
The GPS has not yet been powered up.  It (along with RUDAK and the other
experiments) will be tested and checked out as power, pointing angles, and
other primary 'bus' commissioning activities allow.  As long as things are
working well that will be well before final orbit.

If the GPS works fully it will spit out element and attitude data in ASCII
text, although the initial format will be a bit obscure.  Once we find that
much works properly other software may be written and loaded that makes the
format more readable.  All this, of course, assumes all the bits and pieces
work.  The GPS equipment is very much an experiment.

It should also be noted that as RUDAK and the experiments are tested there
will be lots of diagnostic stuff in the RUDAK downlink that will go away
after testing is completed.  Some may be pretty obvious, others will make
sense only to the software authors.

Bdale, KB0G, and I will do our best to keep the -bb informed of progress,
but please understand we will be pretty busy trying to get it all loaded
and tested.  There is lots of software involved and lots of tests that must
be run.  And for a while at least the RF links will not be wonderful.

Jim
wd0e@amsat.org
jim@coloradosatellite.com