Re: TCP/IP address

Hello,

The file "hosts.sam" is a SAMPLE hosts file.  It is not used by Windows.
If you want to use a hosts file, you have to rename it to "hosts",
or write a hosts file from scratch, using Notepad or some other text editor.

Windows should be able to understand "127.0.0.1", or any other numeric
IP address without a hosts file.  The only time you really need it is
when you have you own LAN, and there is no other system  (e.g. a DHCP server)
to define the host names of your computers.

The file only maps host names to IP addresses.  If you have your own LAN,
you still have to define each host's IP address, in the Networking control
panel thingie.  If all you ever do is dial up your ISP, your machine's
name and IP address are dynamically defined by the dial-up networking stuff.

I hope this makes sense....

Doug Braun
NA1DB