Re: choice of IF frequencies

Kaj Wiik <kwi@cc.hut.fi> wrote:

>On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, laura halliday wrote:
> > an image-reject mixer, in which case you can use any IF
> > you want. Even baseband. All you need is enough image
> > rejection to keep the image from killing the noise
> > figure.
>
>Yes! See e.g.
>http://www.hamradio.si/notune.html

Yes, indeed.

I have read Matjaz's papers with interest. He did a talk
at the AMSAT symposium in San Diego and I appreciated
both his design approach and his sense of humour. I'm
not sure what it says when hams are building solid-
state radios whose receiver topologies were carefully
designed to minimize the number of vacuum tubes...

This is a nice "universal IF" approach - convert every-
thing to and from I/Q baseband. One oscillator per radio,
no weird spurii.

                                   - Hospital/Shafte