Re: FT-847 scuttlebut

on 12/7/00 11:02 AM, Claudio Martins at ctpm@vega.net.dhis.org wrote:

> And remember that the 1.2GHz modules are an add on, you will have to
> purchase them separately, for these new models, probably.

Also keep in mind that at 1.2 GHz coax becomes rather lossy.  You end up
needing a very good preamp at the mast and you'll lose half your uplink
power at least (depending on the type and length of coax).  To run 1296,
you're probably better off using a 28 MHz or 2m IF and running a converter
at the mast.  Then you minimize feedline loss.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden