FT-847 scuttlebut

I have had my FT-847 over two years, and except for the early production
problem with DSP self-oscillation which they repaired under warranty, I
have found the radio to my liking.

In fact so much, that I decided to purchase its little brother the FT-817
for mobile/portable and "take-on-the-airplane-with-me" use!  I especially
like that it has wbfm which I will able to use on microwave, and the agc
may be turned off which is a help for any radioastronomy/SETI operation.  I
was looking at a dual-band HT, but this will do so much more and fairly
small.  Add a TNC/GPS/Arrow and it looks like its all there.  Even has VOX
and a keyer built-in.  But it does not replace the FT-847!

Being into satellite, eme, and tropo on 6m-2m-432-1296-10,368, I definitely
have a bunch of exterior coax swiches and multi-port relays.  They could
never be properly incorporated into the "box".

Not having any other DSP experience to compare, I have found the DSP quite
useful for very weak signal situations [use 100 Hz for eme-cw].  The
adjustable bw filter on 2m-ssb is also helpful.  I normally leave the noise
filter on for all ssb/cw ops including HF.

I wish the NB was better for line noise.

For soundcard connection, I use the fixed audio available at the DATA jack.
 Works fine for psk-31 and FFTDSP.  Will let you know how it works for the
French PSKDEM sw.

Ed