Re: [aprssig] Galactic APRS

> Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:50:15 -0500 (EST)
> From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@usna.edu>
> Subject: [aprssig] Galactic APRS
>
> Last night I attended an impressive lecture by Dr. Vinton Cerf (the father
> of the internet) titled "THE INTERPLANETARY INTERNET".
> 	[...]

I think Vint's most fundamental message is a model that treats space
communications as an extension of the terrestrial Internet, rather
than an isolated network or collection of isolated networks.

For additional information on the InterPlanetary Internet SIG (the
group that Vint's work is associated with) see:

	http://www.ipnsig.org/

In addition to the presentations found at ipnsig.org, a version of Vint's
IPN presentation can be found at:

	http://ccsds1.gsfc.nasa.gov/ftp/ccsds/p1f/IPN/NSF%2003-00/

Those interested in this topic might also look at the Consultative
Committee for Space Data Systems Web pages:

	http://www.ccsds.org/

You might also look Space Communications Protocol Standards (SCPS)
pages at JPL:

	http://www.scps.org/

(By the way, SCPS includes a Security Protocol, SCPS-SP.)

Obviously I am biased, but I think perhaps the most important message
to take away from all of this is that the Internet protocols are
beginning to be used in space as well as terrestrially.  I believe
that the amateur satellite community would do well to take this message
to heart.

-tjs