Re: Amateur Satellites Slated

>on 12/6/00 4:12 PM, Bob Bruninga at bruninga@usna.edu wrote:
>
>> Kodiak Star, the first planned orbital launch from the new Kodiak Launch
>> Complex in Alaska will be a NASA collaborative mission with the Department
>> of Defense (DoD). The payload consists of four small satellites to be
>> launched aboard a Lockheed Martin Athena I launch vehicle.
>
>Hey, this sounds great!  A dedicated APRS bird!  Cool!
>
>My question is on the launch site.  I thought launch sites needed to be near
>the equator or as close as possible (hence French Guyana and Florida instead
>of France and Maine).  I did not think high latitudes were good for orbital
>injection.  Is that incorrect?

Yep!  What you say is true for launching into geo-stationary orbit which is
over the equator.  But for high inclination angle "polar" orbits, which
many LEO's are, then high lattitude launch sites are fine.  Kodiak is
nearly perfect as it has 3000 miles of ocean south of it before
encountering Hawaii.  No range safety problems.  {OOPs:  Bob answered you
on this after I drafted this reply}

Ed
I'm 233 miles NE of Kodiak Island.  I'm hoping to visit the launch complex
next summer when I visit AL7LQ in Kodiak, who is involved with me in a 10
GHz shot {see QST "World Above 50 MHz"}.
al7eb@amsat.org - BP40iq
HF-50-144-432-1296-2400-10,368 MHz
Antennas: 4xM2-XP20, M2-436CP42, 23LY45, 5m & 2.5m dishes
cw, ssb, fm, psk31...APRS soon
Satellite:  analog modes
eme:  144*-1296*-10,368*...*not QRV yet
microwave beacon:  10 GHz planned
Amateur radio astronomy & SETI:  1420-4000-10,370
ARRL asst section mgr - Kenai Peninsula Alaska
MooseHorn ARC - president
Anchorage ARC - life member
ARES - member
SARA - member