Re: 2.4GHz Converters

>From: Jon Ogden <na9d@mindspring.com>
>on 12/6/00 9:35 PM, Thomas Webb at tmwebb@ionet.net wrote:
>
>> Although I began my journey into the world of S-Mode with a Drake
converter,
>> I inadvertently 'fried' it.  With AO-40 flying, I'm interested as to which
>> converters folks are using (Drake, SSB, DEM, Parabolic, etc).  I would be
>> interested in any input folks might have; the good, the bad, and the not so
>> good.  I already have a 2.4GHz antenna (one of the 'bar-b-que grill' units
>> from Bob Myers Comm which I might add he no longer sells).  Your thoughts??
>
>Down East Microwave is currently selling a limited number of their prototype
>S band RX converters for $175.  They work, but just are not in final form
>factor and aren't necessarily clean.  They will be releasing their
>production units in January.  Price will be about $200 ready made and $150
>in kit.  Housing will be mast mountable and WX proof.
>
>This is all on their web page.
>
>SSB makes GREAT units but at probably 2 to 3 times the price.
>
>73,
>
>Jon
>NA9D

I just pre-ordered* my 1269 Tx conv. & 10451 Rx conv. from Steve [DEM] this
morning and the schedule sounds about right.  They are holding on
production to be sure of which AO-40 modes checkout good, and for some
verification of link requirements by actual observation {i.e. if they make
a bunch of 10w convertors and you need 20w...they are stuck with unwanted
inventory}.

*Note, they are not taking orders, yet.  I just indicated my interest to
them so they will notify me when production begins {and I ordered some
components for another project}!

I am using two Drakes: 2400/122 and 2400/432...have quite a lot of DEM
gear, too {translation: frequent customer}!

Ed
al7eb@amsat.org - BP40iq
HF-50-144-432-1296-2400-10,368 MHz
Antennas: 4xM2-XP20, M2-436CP42, 23LY45, 5m & 2.5m dishes
cw, ssb, fm, psk31...APRS soon
Satellite:  analog modes
eme:  144*-1296*-10,368*...*not QRV yet
microwave beacon:  10 GHz planned
Amateur radio astronomy & SETI:  1420-4000-10,370
ARRL asst section mgr - Kenai Peninsula Alaska
MooseHorn ARC - president
Anchorage ARC - life member
ARES - member
SARA - member