Re: 2.4GHz Converters

on 12/6/00 9:35 PM, Thomas Webb at tmwebb@ionet.net wrote:

> Although I began my journey into the world of S-Mode with a Drake converter,
> I inadvertently 'fried' it.  With AO-40 flying, I'm interested as to which
> converters folks are using (Drake, SSB, DEM, Parabolic, etc).  I would be
> interested in any input folks might have; the good, the bad, and the not so
> good.  I already have a 2.4GHz antenna (one of the 'bar-b-que grill' units
> from Bob Myers Comm which I might add he no longer sells).  Your thoughts??

Down East Microwave is currently selling a limited number of their prototype
S band RX converters for $175.  They work, but just are not in final form
factor and aren't necessarily clean.  They will be releasing their
production units in January.  Price will be about $200 ready made and $150
in kit.  Housing will be mast mountable and WX proof.

This is all on their web page.

SSB makes GREAT units but at probably 2 to 3 times the price.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden