Re: Amateur Satellites Slated

on 12/6/00 4:12 PM, Bob Bruninga at bruninga@usna.edu wrote:

> Kodiak Star, the first planned orbital launch from the new Kodiak Launch
> Complex in Alaska will be a NASA collaborative mission with the Department
> of Defense (DoD). The payload consists of four small satellites to be
> launched aboard a Lockheed Martin Athena I launch vehicle.

Hey, this sounds great!  A dedicated APRS bird!  Cool!

My question is on the launch site.  I thought launch sites needed to be near
the equator or as close as possible (hence French Guyana and Florida instead
of France and Maine).  I did not think high latitudes were good for orbital
injection.  Is that incorrect?

73,

Jon
NA9D