RE: AO-40 Keps

All,

There has been quite a few comments about keps so I thought I'd chime in
with my observations.

Most of you know that I've been providing *live* telemetry access to AO-40
from the internet... Both Audio and a live P3T connection.

I've also setup my station to be in autocontrol while tracking and
translating.  This caused me to go through the same pains as everyone else
as it relates to Kep accuracy.

The bottom line as it stands today... use the set that is posted on
www.amsat.org, they are far more accurate than anything else... *AT THIS
TIME*

I've also looked at all the keps that Norad is publishing.  If there is a
set there that is also close, it's the ones for STRV-1C.  Those published
for AO-40 are just plain wrong, the Norad version will place AO-40 well
ahead of where it really is.

Now with that said, the commissioning team are very close to the point that
they want the sat to fire the engine.  Last Telem that I saw was an
alon/alat of 267/-3... They want 270/0.  Once they get there and they fire
the 400N motor... All bets are off as to where AO-40 will be.  Actually,
there is a scientific way to determine it's location and James Miller has
described that in his "ranging" article.  I suspect that only a few days
after the firing, you'll see a revised version of keps that will be pretty
close, if AO-13 was any indication.  A new set from Norad will follow
shortly there after.

Bottom line, use Ken's version from the Amsat.org site... Last time I looked
they were only about 1min off for my location for LOS.  Pretty close for
predictive keps.

My .02
Alan