Re: Converter Protection

Tom,
I did exactly the same thing, placing it in my attic and using the same 2 m downlink coax.  It's a lot of protection for less than $20.  I also used the RS alum. enclosure as a point to inject the 12 Vdc for the Drake (because I'm not sure if the new Kenwood TS-2000 will have this feature, but likely the Icom will since their predecesors have that capability).  This way, any time the Drake is energized, so is the RF relay.  On my home brew switch box in the shack I used a blinking-green LED to alert me when this baby is powered (hoping that will train me NOT to transmit on 2 m anyway and tempt fate).
73,
Jerry, K5OE

<< Having fried a Drake 2.4GHz converter a few months ago, I decided to install
a Ramsey RFS-1 rf sensing switch to protect any future S-mode converters.
As a matter of scholarly inquiry, any better ideas floating around out there
as to protecting mast-mount converters from inadvertent rf?

Also, anyone heard any rumors about new 2.4Ghz converters comming out (Icom,
Yaesu, etc)?

Tom Webb, WA9AFM/5