Re: Any serious risk ?

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 06:51:15PM -0800, Paul Williamson wrote:
> Granted that it's not that difficult to protect adequately against spurious commands. However, it's very difficult (I'd say impossible) to protect a radio link against a denial-of-service attack (jamming). That alone is good enough reason to keep the command uplink frequencies, modulations, and codes as secret as you conveniently can.

Agreed. Personally, I am not asking for the specifics for any satellite,
only in general how security of the command uplink is obtained.
Unlike other contributors I don't think "NONE OF MY BUSINESS"
applies in ham radio. So if anyone can share any information
on this topic, or suggest some reading, I would be most interested.
(I am simply curious.)

> The following is a (very rare) official policy statement from the AMSAT VP in charge of this mailing list: NO SUBJECT is ever off limits, so long as it pertains to amateur radio satellites.

Excellent!

thanks,
Hamish