Re: Hamtronic 2M Converter

Bill,
I built a Hamtronics 70 cm receive converter a couple of years ago and found it very sensitive, but easily subject to overload and IM (not a lot of filering on the front end).  Neither of those problems are really an issue for copying AO-40, though.  That bird's 2 m signal is VERY strong.  If you are thinking of building a 2 m kit, though, you might want to consider the TenTec 2 m transverter model 1210 and gain some all-mode uplink capability in the effort.  I also built one of those and found it to be a really easy kit to build and align and practically indistructable--transmitted 100 W CW into it several times :-)  I'm a slow learner.
73 es GL,
Jerry, K5OE

Bill Richarz <wricharz@infi.net> writes:

<< Anyone know if the Hamtronics 2M converter will
copy the AO-40 2Meter beacon?  Think the noise
figure for that converter is 1-2 db., with 20db gain.

Also, how long will the telemetry be on two meters?
I guess the 70cm transmitter is not working, and that
would be where the normal telemetry would come from.

I just want to get in on the fun with AO-40 with something
cheap until I can make up my mine on a satellite radio.
Yaesu 847 (used to own one), TS-2000 or ICOM 910.

Let me have your comments.

tnx de Bill, N4DH