Re: Any serious risk ?

Hi, Jim,

At 09:54 PM 04-12-00 -0600, Jim Shorney wrote:
>Now, this I have to disagree with.  Public monitoring of police
>communications is a form of public review.

Actually, the practice is illegal by treaty and law and, in many countries,
is still enforced quite seriously.

The notion of secrecy of communication comes from the International
Telecommunication Convention.  Most likely, it dates back to the time when
most radio traffic consisted of messages on behalf of other parties who
wanted to have some privacy.  In those days, few people, beyond the radio
operators had access to receivers.

In the USA, the related provisions of applicable law (47 USC 605 - see:
http://frwebgate5.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate.cgi?WAISdocID=898591264+11+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve)
seem to be enforced only in a few cases.  Mostly, it is applied to cyphered
transmissions and other "restricted" services like music on FM station
subcarriers.

>As such, it helps to keep the police 'honest', to a degree, by knowing
>that they can and are being listened to.

While many departments share your views, many others are moving to a common
cypherable system ("Project 25" digital radios) in order to keep casual
listeners (the bad guys?) from knowing what they are doing.

While none of this applies to amateur stations, perhaps there are times
when we should extend the courtesy.

Hope this helps.

73, art.....