Re: Any serious risk ?

on 12/4/00 6:04 PM, Bill Jones at wejones@megalink.net wrote:

> On the other hand, if the current
> system is truely secure, and I would assume that it is, then I see no reason
> why it
> can't be discussed.  Not discussing it only confirms the "elitist" stereotype
> that
> AMSAT already has.

Why?

First of all, people  like DB2OS, W4SM, DJ5KQ, DJ4ZC, OE1VKW, G3RUH, W5DID,
and others built the bird.  I suppose that they also put a large sum of
their own money into it as well.  Given that fact, they can do damn well
whatever they please as far as I am concerned.  They are the ones who put
the time and effort into building the satellite for the rest of us.  They
ARE rocket scientists.  They ARE elite.  And so what.  I am grateful that
they did do all this for those of us who don't have the smarts.  They can do
whatever they want for security, talk about it and not talk about it.

Many things in satellite are not really mentioned.  Some is somewhat of a
"PC" attitude, but other things are really legit.  For example, there's a
potential problem with the 70cm TX.  They won't say for sure because they
don't want to spread rumors or false information.  They want to make sure of
everything before handing down a verdict.

I'd suggest that those who complain about the lack of discussion on security
get together and build their own satellite.  If you spend 8 or 9 years
building a bird, you can do whatever you want.  If you build a bird, then
you can discuss your security protocols however you want.  If you don't
build one, then I don't think there's room to talk.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden