Re: TrackBox Questions (+ do you burn EPROMs?)

John, I can give you a limited answer but we both need someone to
complete the picture.  We need ver 3.50b or later to be Y2K compliant.
There is a strong suggestion that the original Trakbox be upgraded,
primarily to obtain a finer Az/El readout for P3D.  The original TB used a
80C31 or 80C51 with a 11.0592 crystal.  The Turbo Trakbox uses a 80C320
with a 22.1184 Mhz crystal. Now there is another Turbo model called a
Turbo II and that uses a 80C251SB16.  The old 11 MHz is used with this
CPU.  It deletes some of the valuable features of the old chip (in my
opinion) such as Doppler track by microphone click, but the accuracy is
ten times better!  Here is the real difficulty:  Getting the CPU chip is
very difficult in the States.  One source is JA6FTL but this information
is two years old.  This information came from Alan Biddle, WA4SCA.
     The latest I've been able to find is that G6ZRU might have some CPU
chips and the programming necessary to burn in the EPROM.  For the older
EPROMS the file TRK350B.hex and 320350B.hex is available on the TAPR
website.  So it comes down to looking at what chips you now have and how
far toward replacement you might want to go!    73    Cliff K7RR