Re: Any Risk ?

>On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 05:15:12PM -0800, Clifford Buttschardt wrote:
>> Don't worry about it.  Some are just out to lunch!  Cliff K7RR
>
>Oh? I thought it was a good question.
>
>In short: what security does the satellite have against unauthorised
>stations issuing commands? It is a matter of security by obscurity
>(control uplink and modulation format not published), or are there
>passwords, or what?
Hamish

I helped a little with the AO-06 west coast command station by assembling
the encoder board, then for a short time manning the station {one week}.
You feel somewhat "god-like" pushing the button telling the satellite to
turn-on or go to sleep.  AO-06 had a battery issue early in its life and
command stations were having to tell it to keep the transponder off until
the voltage was OK {as I remember}{made a few operators mad at us, too}.
Without the encoder or knowledge of it, it would have been pretty tough!

I agree.  This is enough talk on this topic {hope it never has to be
discussed again}.

73, Ed
al7eb@amsat.org - BP40iq
HF-50-144-432-1296-2400-10,368 MHz
Antennas: 4xM2-XP20, M2-436CP42, 23LY45, 5m & 2.5m dishes
cw, ssb, fm, psk31...APRS soon
Satellite:  analog modes
eme:  144*-1296*-10,368*...*not QRV yet
microwave beacon:  10 GHz planned
Amateur radio astronomy & SETI:  1420-4000-10,370
ARRL asst section mgr - Kenai Peninsula Alaska
MooseHorn ARC - president
Anchorage ARC - life member
ARES - member
SARA - member