Re: Any Risk ? --> Bad Apples

Hi, Joe,

At 09:59 PM 03-12-00 -0500, Joe Leikhim wrote:
>I note that the restrictions in Part 97 which pertain to use of encryption,
>specifically exclude amateur satellite telecommand communications from any
>restrictions on the use of encryption.

Part 97 has no bearing on AO-40 as it is not covered by a license issued by
the USA administration (FCC).  However, related domestic Earth stations are
covered.

Nevertheless, security for telecommand purposes clearly goes beyond the
Radio Regulations which normally prohibit encryption (by requiring plain
language for all transmissions).

Historically, telecommand transmissions for critical spacecraft functions
are generally accepted by administrations as being exempt from the
requirement to use plain language.

This topic is covered in the IARU background
paper.  See:  http://www.iaru.org/satellite/prospective.html.

In the USA, we have a unique problem where many people ask to see such
details committed to rule or regulation.  That's why you see it here in
Part 97.

Such is life.

Clearly, the command stations have matters well in hand.  That's all we
really need to know.  As a practical matter, I suggest we drop this topic
so as not to stimulate interest in hacking.

Hope this helps.

73, art.....