RE: not really -->Re: Kenwood TS-2000

> The good news about using the transmit converter with 20 watts at the
> antenna is that you'll have the full 20 watts (or nearly so)
> out.  The

Indeed.  Less of an issue in my case, being portable, as I can do a bit of
coax swapping to change bands, and using a masthead transverter will allow
me to RG-58 for interconnecting coax, since it only has to carry VHF signals
a few feet.  OTOH, power at these frequencies is expensive on this band, so
getting every dB counts!

> disadvantage is that you "lose a band" with having to use 2M for 1.2
> GHz.  I chose the inside route because of that advantage I
> guess.  And it
> was like gaining another 2M all mode doing it this
> way...meaning, I don't
> lose 2M while using 1.2GHz.

An alternative would have been a high quality coax relay on the roof, to
switch the 2m between the converter and the 2m antenna.  That way, you still
have the advantages of the converter at the masthead, but don't "lose" 2
metres or have to shell out for extra coax.

> It's all about compromise I guess.  And it's great we have
> several options
> to suit everybody's needs/desires.  The other great thing is
> how the launch
> of AO-40 has rekindled interest in satellite radio.   I know
> it has for
> me...I got rather indifferent to radio in general during the
> last four
> years, waiting for the launch.  Now it again has a
> purpose...getting on
> 1.2GHz and 2.4GHz!

Certainly plenty of interest, and AO-40 might have opened up the microwave
bands as well to a larger ham population.  Could be the best thing the
hobby's seen in years.