not really -->Re: Kenwood TS-2000

I posted on a similar topic the other day, but apparently I sent the
message from my work email and the list won't let unsubscribed addresses
post (makes sense).

The good news about using the transmit converter with 20 watts at the
antenna is that you'll have the full 20 watts (or nearly so) out.  The
disadvantage is that you "lose a band" with having to use 2M for 1.2
GHz.  I chose the inside route because of that advantage I guess.  And it
was like gaining another 2M all mode doing it this way...meaning, I don't
lose 2M while using 1.2GHz.

An obvious disadvantage of having to run 1.2GHz through the coax is losing
about half of the signal due to losses.  And I decided that buying an amp
to put at the antenna (if it's necessary) is about as cheap as buying coax
that is good enough to have ultra low loss.  Still, cheaper than another
good 2M all mode.

I bought my TS-790A nearly 8 years ago, and have been running 9k6 packet
through the birds ever since.  It is currently modified for up to 76k
packet operations (on receive), so the thought of buying a new rig and
hacking it up to get to the same level isn't too appealing to me.  Although
reading the manual for the TS-2000 makes me dream about it :)

It's all about compromise I guess.  And it's great we have several options
to suit everybody's needs/desires.  The other great thing is how the launch
of AO-40 has rekindled interest in satellite radio.   I know it has for
me...I got rather indifferent to radio in general during the last four
years, waiting for the launch.  Now it again has a purpose...getting on
1.2GHz and 2.4GHz!

73,

Mark N8MH

At 05:34 AM 12/2/2000, you wrote:

> >From: "Mark L. Hammond" <hammond@surrealnet.net>
> >>The 1296 module for my TS-790 when it was brand new 8 years ago was around
> >>$500.
> >>
> >>With 8 years of technology advances since the TS-790 was built I would
> >>guess that the 1296 module could be made cheaper today then it was 8 years
> >>ago(also the module was in a case with its own cooling fan).
> >
> >Heh...I bought my 1.2GH module for the TS-790 about a month or two ago...it
> >was about $550.
> >
> >It's nice to do wishful thinking, though.
>
>Well Guys:
>
>I think I'll stay with my FT-847 that I bought for $1599 two years ago.
>
>I just placed an advance order with Downeast Microwave for their 1269
>transmit convertor, model 1269 TX144.  Estimated cost, assembled, is
>$400-440 and it has 20w output.  I also asked Steve to put me down on a
>waiting list for their x-band Rx convertor {price TBD}.  BTW they are
>offering a 2400/144 RX convertor {pre-production model while supply lasts}.
>  http://www.downeastmicrowave.com
>(boy do I wish he gave sales commissions ;-)
>
>It appears that AO-40 has caused a flurry of buying sat gear.  I ordered
>repair parts for my 436CP42 from M2, today, and they are completely out of
>satellite antennas!
>
>Recent discussions have given me a "bright idea":  I am going to put my 432
>antenna up on my roof {which is flat} along with a small dish for 2400.  I
>have it sitting on the ground using a short roof-top tripod tower, right now.
>
>Good night!
>Ed
>----

Mark L. Hammond  [N8MH]