Re: AO-40 Pictures

At 06:41 PM 2000-12-01 -0800, Paul Williamson wrote:
>At 07:57 PM 12/1/2000 -0400, paul.willmott@omsl.bm wrote:
> >New pictures from AO-40 can be found at:
> >
> >http://camel.campbell.edu/~hammond/ham/p3d/images/
>
>Is the world potato-shaped, or is there some horrible lens distortion in
>this camera?

Nope and Nope!

>Or maybe there's an error in the decoding?

Nope!

Image is scanned (top to bottom) from camera to RAM during 1.2 seconds.
Current RPM is 5.22, so the field rotates 37.6 degs. during the process of
storing the image from top to bottom.
This creates the distortion.  As we speed up the RPM, it'll get worse.

Someone with time and interest might want to do the math and pixel
manipulation to un-distort the images.