From: <K5OE@aol.com>
To: <howard@howardlong.com>; <jcordill@worldnet.att.net>
Cc: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2000 7:19 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Re: Arrow antenna

> Howard,
>
> "Howard Long" <howard@howardlong.com> writes:
>
> > I have tried to place all elements for each band on
> > one boom, but I had
> > enormous difficulties in tuning in. In fact I failed!
> > If someone manages this successfully I'd be very
> > interested.
>
> I have modeled, or tried to model I should say, combining 2 m and 70 cm
parasitic elements in the same plane in NEC4Win several times.  The results
were always unsatisfactory, primarily due to the near-resonance (harmonic)
of the 2 m elements to the 70 cm driven element.  The only satisfactory
arrangement I could ever come up with was to place the 70 cm elements
"ahead" of the 2 m elements, much like the home brew antenna by Tony Langdon
and the Comet dual-band beam.  The goal, of course, was to minimize boom
length, but I was never able to reach that goal:  Allen's Arrow Antenna is
built that way for good reason :-)