Re: Notes on 2.4 GHz beacon

on 11/29/00 11:07 PM, Gene Harlan at atvq@hampubs.com wrote:

> What is squint angle? I can't say I've heard that term before and now
> everyone seems to be using it! If I were to guess I would say it is beam
> width of the antenna?

I think it's the angle between your antenna and the main lobe of the
satellite's antenna.   If the satellite antenna is pointing straight at your
antenna, the squint angle is zero.  If the satellite's antenna is pointing
in a direction 90 degrees away from you, the squint angle is 90 degrees.

I *think* that's what this is.

If you have a squint angle other than zero or close to it, you'll be off the
main beam of the satellite's antenna.  This can obviously making hearing
difficult.  In the case of the 2.4 GHz beacon tests, the control team has
chosen the point in the orbit when the satellite's antennas are most pointed
toward earth and hence the smallest squint angle.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden