Re: preamps--mast mount vs. in shack

on 11/30/00 2:45 AM, Edward R. Cole at al7eb@ptialaska.net wrote:

> PS: Now that I have spent the last two hours wading thru all the amsat-bb
> mail, I see Jon Ogden and John Stephensen have covered the above.  I agree
> with Jon that you can hear the difference when the preamp is at the antenna
> even if the numbers say it may not be a significant difference.

Did I say that?  :-)

> How so?
> Well real life never is as good as calculations on paper {and usually due
> to faulty assumptions}!

This is true!   I don't know if you can "hear" the noise more when the
preamp is inside the shack or not.  I do know that when I tried my 2m preamp
inside the shack, it did seem to have a higher S-meter reading for the noise
then when I had it on the mast (before it went kaput).  This is why I was so
surprised to see that the theoretical difference is just 1 dB.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden