RE: Mime-Version: 1.0

> Excuse me?  But this is the biggest bunch of BS I've heard in
> a LONG time!

He's lucky I'm a bit busy, I'd have said much the same.

> Sheesh!  Some of the most ACTIVE and best know stations on
> the FM birds are
> little dogs who operate portable with a few Watts.

I'm one of those, though blessed with being located in a considerably
quieter part of the world. :-)  And if portable isn't enough, try from a
train! :)  I'm active almost every day on FM, and regularly get contacts.

> And you don't need to spend thousands of dollars on everything.
>
> Why don't YOU wake up instead of spreading trash like this
> and possibly
> disenfranchising a lot of up and coming satellite operators.

All I can say to him is a couple of quotes:

1.  If at first you don't succeed, try again.  If at first, you do succeed,
try something more difficult!

2.  If you don't like the heat....

And there's always the SSB birds, much quieter there, and portable operation
is still possible, though less convenient due to the more limited choice of
gear (not many SSB HTs on the market :( ).  When RS-13 was running Mode A, I
had a great portable signal in.  25W, a small beam on 2m, and a gell cell.
And for the 10m downlink, a little Dragon HT did the trick, with a converted
5' CB whip as an antenna.  Only problem was finding another station to
work... :(