Several weeks ago Jerry (K5SYY??) was at a hamfest in North Texas and
demoed how to work  the FM birds. He made it look so easy and encouraged
several of those of us who listened/watched his presentation to finally
make the attempt ourselves. Now the discouraging part. After reading
everything there is on the internet,and buying the latest ARRL/AMSAT
literature, I tried the birds. After 2 weeks I have made only a handful of
contacts. Thinking that it was me (and I am very certain that I have a lot
to learn!) I discussed the problems I was having with other hams. One of
the common "problems" that we have seen is the number of folks who get up
on the birds and say stuff like, "Hi so & so, from so & so (I didn't want
to list names here). Usually without any other ID. As crowded as the birds
are, this takes up a lot of air time. We have also noticed that there are
usually 3 - 4 stations that overpower everyone else. This is not the same
thing as a previous thread concerning power on Field day, but rather the
fact that these gentleman obviously have very nice stations. So the
question is, what can be done? if anything?

We did notice that during the holidays that 2 of us were in "rare" grids
here in Texas and surprisingly both of us made numerous contacts. For me it
was a great time in the pileup! Several of us are looking to make a couple
of day trips into "rare" grids in the near future.

I have enjoyed working the FM birds, but I am getting frustrated by the
problems as described above. Thanks to everyone for your time.

Greg Higgins

Greg Higgins
Online Status:
<http://eudora.voicecontact.com/vc3/index.html?gregh%40onramp.net><http://eudora.voicecontact.com/vc3/index.html?gregh%40onramp.net><http://www.eudora.com/products/voicecontact/>