Re: Re:Rigblaster

Henry Moseley wrote:

> Yeah, the rigblaster is a good product, but they let a reviewer say there
> was PACTOR software and there is definitely not. As much as they would like
> to sell a bunch of these fine boxes, they gotta be careful. It's like
> advertising that your car can go to the moon, and then blaming DOT for not
> building the road.

Now, wait a second.

"They let a reviewer say there was PACTOR software" is not advertising, for
goodness sakes, even if that was what he had said. Vendors don't control what's
said in QST reviews, and thank goodness for that! What the QST review *does* say
is "The RIGBlaster opens up a world of digital operating pleasure for you
without having to heat up the soldering iron...While I used it to work PSK-31
and watch some SSTV transmissions, with appropriate software you can dive into
RTTY, computerized Morse, PACTOR, AMTOR, packet and much more".

That's not a promise that such software exists, is included with the product, or
that it will work with your computer, soundcard and operating system. The
Rigblaster's job is to move audio between your radio and your soundcard. It does
that quite well; my lifepartner Gwen KB3DVJ uses one with her ICOM 751, she
loves it. There is a whole pile of software on the accompanying CD-ROM, but it
is without warranty and provided as a courtesy and a convenience.

I have an FT-847, and since I wanted it to play nice with my soundcard, both
sides my KAMPlus, and my Bencher paddles, I *did* "heat up the soldering iron"
and designed and built a little interface box with all the appropriate switches
and glue components.

West Mountain didn't advertise the car could go to the moon. They said the car
could be driven. Somebody *else* said the car could drive to a whole list of
cities, including Cleveland. But you're responsible for the gas and the maps.

And speaking of the automobile/computer analogy (no, I didn't write this one):
---------------------------------------
General Motors doesn't have a "help line" for people who don't know how to
drive, because people don't buy cars like they buy computers -- but imagine if
they did . .

HELPLINE: "General Motors Helpline, how can I help you?"
CUSTOMER: "I got in my car and closed the door, and nothing happened!"
HELPLINE: "Did you put the key in the ignition slot and turn it?"
CUSTOMER: "What's an ignition?"
HELPLINE: "It's a starter motor that draws current from your battery and turns
over the engine."
CUSTOMER: "Ignition? Motor? Battery? Engine? How come I have to know all of
these technical terms just to use my car?"

HELPLINE: "General Motors Helpline, how can I help you?"
CUSTOMER: "My car ran fine for a week, and now it won't go anywhere!"
HELPLINE: "Is the gas tank empty?"
CUSTOMER: "Huh? How do I know?"
HELPLINE: "There's a little guage on the front panel, with a needle, and
markings from 'E' to 'F.' Where is the needle pointing?"
CUSTOMER: "It's pointing to 'E.' What does that mean?"
HELPLINE: "It means that you have to visit a gasoline vendor, and purchase some
more gasoline. You can install it yourself, or pay the vendor to install it for
you."
CUSTOMER: "What!? I paid $12,000 for this car! Now you tell me that I have to
keep buying more components? I want a car that comes with everything built in!"

HELPLINE: "General Motors Helpline, how can I help you?"
CUSTOMER: "Your car sucks!"
HELPLINE: "What's wrong?"
CUSTOMER: "It crashed, that's what went wrong!"
HELPLINE: "What were you doing?"
CUSTOMER: "I wanted to run faster, so I pushed the accelerator pedal all the way
to the floor. It worked for a while, and then it crashed -- and now it won't
start!"
HELPLINE: "It's your responsibility if you misuse the product. What do you
expect us to do about it?"
CUSTOMER: "I want you to send me one of the latest versions that doesn't crash
anymore!"

HELPLINE: "General Motors Helpline, how can I help you?"
CUSTOMER: "Hi! I just bought my first car, and I chose your car because it has
automatic transmission, cruise control,
power steering, power brakes, and power door locks."
HELPLINE: "Thanks for buying our car. How can I help you?"
CUSTOMER: "How do I work it?"
H ELPLINE: "Do you know how to drive?"
CUSTOMER: "Do I know how to what?"
HELPLINE: "Do you know how to drive?"
CUSTOMER: "I'm not a technical person! I just want to go places in my car!"

 73 de Maggie

--
     / __     _)      Margaret Stephanie Leber  /"The art of progress   /
    /(, /|  /|   http://voicenet.com/~maggie   / consists of preserving/