Re: how abt ao-40 beacon on mode-S?

True Mean Anomaly is measured from zero to 360 degrees from Perigee.  The
zero to 256 degree measurement is also measured from Perigee, but has been
referred historically as Phase.  I believe this Phase measurement
originally came about because of the binary convienience of the early on
board or ground tracking computers.  The Mean Anomaly stated in the
Keplerian elements is measured 0-360 degrees.

It might be less confusing to continue to call the 0-256 measurement,
Phase.  However, it might really be better to switch to the 0-360 MA usage
in determining the satellite schedule and let the old 0-256 Phase
measurement die an honored death.  This would require a minor change in one
or two tracking programs to switch to the MA designation.

--
73, Roy

Internet: w0sl@amsat.org