Egg Beater Antennas and AO-40

Good People:

I've noted a few posts to the mail list requesting info on the "Egg
Beater" type
antenna, so I thought I would share my limited experience...

I've been using a M2 EB144 (Egg Beater) antenna to pickup the 2mtr
telemetry
from AO-40.  The antenna is six feet off the ground, and fed with 50
feet of
RG8X.  With my Kenwood TS-790A, I get S meter readings of S1 to S3
without the
need to worry about tracking.

Over the next few days I will be adding the radial kit (it was
backordered), and
will have an SSB SP-2000 mast mount pre-amp installed, along with some
low loss
9913 cable.  I'll report back what the S meter readings are when that is

completed.

By the way, I have been using the Egg Beater for regional repeater use
with good
results even though it is horizontally polarized at the horizon.  (I
seem to
remember that you loose about 6dB for polarization mis-match.)

73,

Bob, WB4SON