Re: Eggbeater antennas for AO40?

On a blue moon a pair of zero gain (dBd) antennas can work A0-10.
(low pass directly over your qth, no one on the bird, window 15 minutes
etc.)

However to cross over from once in a blue moon communications
to the world of reliable horizon to horizon communications,
real antennas will be needed.  AO-40 has more power and better
antennas than AO-10, the difference between once in a blue moon
and Reliable communications antennas needed is yet to be determined
however if the strong beacon is any indication you may only need
less than 50% of what is needed to work AO-10 in the Reliable category.

So pick the reliability you would like (2-meter).
low	zero dbd gain
medium	9 dbd gain
high	12 dbd gain
strap	15 dbd gain