Re: AO-10 ground station

on 11/25/00 9:27 AM, Ken Tentarelli at ken@sugar-river.net wrote:

> Running 50 watts into 13 dB gain az-el mounted antennas
> I am not able to hear my signal via AO-10.   I cannot
> find any articles/info on what ground station capabilities
> are needed for AO-10.
>
> To those of you who do work AO-10,   what power/antennas
> are needed ?

It all depends!

First of all, can you hear AO-10's beacon on 145.810 or thereabouts?  If
not, then the bird is likely "off."  The beacon will be a solid carrier.

AO-10 can only work when it is in full or nearly full sunlight.  Its
batteries are kaput.  So if you tried to work it when it's in eclipse, it
won't hear you since it will be off.

AO-10's polarity varies sometimes and you get some radical fading.  You may
have been trying in a period of a deep fade.

For AO-10 on an apogee pass, most of us use pretty big setups.  I typically
run 100 Watts to a 40 element CP KLM on the uplink and a 22 element KLM on
the downlink.  Preamps are helpful, especially on the mast, but not
necessary.

Is 100 Watts necessary?  Well, many times on AO-10 most definitely.  The
bird is a challenge to work.  But it's fun!

On perigee passes, you can get by with just a few watts and an arrow antenna
or even omnis.  Lots of guys w/o the big setups work AO-10 this way.  It's
kinda fun.

I hope this helps.  Listen first for the beacon.  If you can hear that, then
the bird is working good.

73,

Jon
NA9D