Re: CW of DSS???

> Hey Tom...
>
> I've heard those CW transmissions when my local cable system has had
> problems.  They sound like transponder identifications, just like the fast
> CW ID's one hears on police, fire and other public safety and commercial
> repeaters.

They are called ATIS I think.  Every TVRO satellite transponder has them. I've decoded
them in the past, and they have things like the telephone number of the uplink site and
a few other similar items repeated over and over.

Since the DSS channel originates with a regular VCII scrambled C-band transmission,
sometimes, when the VCII audio goes out, they substitute regular analog audio.  The
regular audio would be on a 6.8MHz subcarrier, and the ATIS is usually at 7.1 MHz, so
the DSS uplinker probably got the wrong freq off the C-band signal.

 *Bill Jones  N3JLQ  Sweden Maine                                *
 * wejones@megalink.net                                          *
 * Main home page   http://www.megalink.net/~wejones             *
 * WWII/B-17 page   http://www.megalink.net/~wejones/wwii.html   *
 * TVRO  page       http://www.megalink.net/~wejones/wwii.html   *
 *                TVRO HAM RADIO WWII/B-17 SPACE WX              *