Re: going portable

Our school club (KC7VWW) is starting to work the FM birds portable but trying to
get in with a hand-held with an Arrow II is impossible.  Our students tried and
heard the UO-14 but it is so crowd that 5 watts don't make it in (
http://www.jones-clan.com/amateur_radio/arrow2.html ).  The school itself is
located in CN92dd which is the same as my grid square.

This weekend, we were on Hamaker MT (CN92ac) working on the repeater when a pass
came across between 1802 to 1817 UTC on 25 Jan 00 and we had a loud reception
and KC7VKP (CN92de) heard our signal clearly but with all the strong traffic and
hardly any pauses, we where not heard by other stations.  It was a good pass and
heard stations as far away at grid FN which stated that it was at 1 degree above
horizon for him.

I have heard Leo, W7JPI, on a couple of evening passes had he does a great job
in aiding other and I hope others will also.

We do notice that if we wait for pass that are over that Pacific and during the
day time, traffic is light, but try to get a pass during our class time is
another issue.

Hope to have the students make contact with you all and a few others in our area
will be getting on the birds to practice satellite work for our possible
upcoming SAREX with ISS.

CN92dd  Oregon

Advisor to KC7VWW