RE: FM Satellite Etiquette question....

> I guess it appears to me increasing power isn't a bad thing,
> as long as you
> monitor your downlink so you know when your signals strong
> enough. The big
> thing, though, is good operating procedure, where you leave time for
> stations to call, and don't make so many contacts that others can't.

It's like there is a responsibility that goes with higher power, and that
responsibility is to look out for the less capable stations.  Give them time
to have a try, and also help them work others.  Last night's SO-35 pass down
here was a classic example.  I was on the pass, when a weak station popped
up, barely audible.  At the same time, I had a rock solid signal into the
bird.  With a bit of teasing "The station ending in Foxtrot, go ahead..."
(all I could hear was the word "foxtrot" at the end of his transmission), I
was able to help him get a better signal in, and he went on to make a couple
of contacts after mine.

This is one way the stronger ops can help clear a path for the QRP brigade,
by latching onto something recognisable and calling them in.  Similarly, if
you're well versed in call areas and geography, it is possible to guide
other users to the correct uplink frequency.  That happened in the same
pass.  I could hear the telltale signs of an off frequency station, and I
made out the "VK2" and a a town in his callsign, which meant he was
northeast of me by over 1000 km.  At that time, I also knew the satellite
had just passed TCA in a southward direction at my QTH, so without knowing
his current frequency, I could say "try 436.295", based on our respective
positions and that of the bird.  His next attempt was around 5x2, and the
ending was a happy one. :-)

On air Elmering had a place on the birds, as does looking out for fellow
hams and trying to share the experience.

> So there's nothing about higher power that keeps out weaker
> stations other
> than if you double, the weaker station will lose. But if you
> leave enough
> time to allow weaker stations to call, that shouldn't be a
> problem...  As

Indeed.  While I advocate using the minimum power necessary, judicious use
of high power may break a deadlock of masses of similarly powereds stations,
through the use of good techniques.  Hoever, unless that skill is properly
exercised, the power can do more harm than good.