Re: DSP Modems

John,

A group of hams from around the world are discussing the idea of
creating a software defined DSP radio for the satellites. The idea is to
decode the data from the RF rather than the audio, hence the data modem,
if you will, is part of the radio.

So far we have had lots of good discussion and I think are on the way to
a preliminary design specification. We are trying to model the
development of the radio after the on-line collaborative efforts of the
Linux developers. As you can appreciate the design and construction of
such a radio is a complex project, one beyond the scope of most
individuals. The hope is that collectively we will have the expertise.
By using the Internet, each person can contribute with their area of
expertise, and everyone benefits. In such a project, there are many
tasks to be performed, some technical, some organizational, some
requiring communication and writing skills, and many more, so that
anyone can contribute in one way or another.

The archives of the discussions are on the DSP-Radio mailing list at
http://www.qth.net You may also subscribe from this web page.

A web page for the project is in development and should be available
soon.

Please join us if you are interested.

Darrell Bellerive
VE7CLA