Re: DSP Modems

>You had a excellent chance to show the world just how smart you are.
>But NO !, You chose to show us just how ignorant you really are by
>your arrogant, sarcastic reply to a plea for help.

Mike,

I think you're being rather unfair to Laura here. She was quite
correct in pointing out that DSP modem design requires a fairly
substantial theoretical background comparable to that of an EE
undergraduate degree. She also correctly points out that relatively
few hams have such a background.

To this I add two points: thanks to today's hot wireless industry,
many hams who do have such a background are kept extremely busy by
their day jobs.  Also, just having an EE degree is not a guarantee
that you know what you're doing; see
http://people.qualcomm.com/karn/papers/vmsk to read about one modem
designer who's *really* lost in the swamps.

Laura didn't say that *no* ham could possibly have the necessary
background, or that this background could not be acquired by
independent study or experimentation without actually going to
college. Nor did I see her discourage any ham from doing just this. I
think she just wanted to impart a more realistic understanding, that's
all.

I know I sure would like to see more hams learn how to do DSP, and I'm
willing to help with my severely limited spare time.  And I'm sure Laura
feels the same.

Phil