Re: DSP Modems

laura halliday wrote:

> "Walls, Jim R" <WALLSJR@sce.com> wrote:
>
> >LH> You could create them yourself.
> >
> >That's fine for someone who knows how to write DSP code.
> >That's an area I have not a clue about - and I would suspect
> >that almost everyone out here is in the same boat..
>
> DSP is not a "howto" kind of subject - it requires
> theoretical background, which you then apply to tasks
> like making a computer listen to noises and turn them in
> to data. You could look at source code - there are several
> open-source PSK31 programs which do very similar things,
> albeit in slow motion - but without said background, the
> code is meaningless. Without said background you're not
> going to be able to modify it, either.

Laura:

Thank goodness for the clarification.  When I saw your earlier
response ("create them yourself"), I started looking into the
subject a little bit, and quickly decided that it was way
beyond my abilities at present.  And that's from a person who
is well-trained technically in unrelated but mathematically
intensive areas such as the modeling and prediction of
pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of pharmacologic agents
in biological systems (mainly humans), and someone who owns
and operates his own software development company in his
"spare time", self-taught in FORTRAN, BASIC, 8080, Z80, 68000
assembly language, and C.  Now I don't feel so inadequate.  ;-)

Maybe there is a need out there for someone who DOES have the
background (like you perhaps?) to work on a "universal DSP-based
modem" for all terrestrial and satellite modes known to mankind
and those yet to come.

I think that TAPR and AMSAT once had a kit that came close, but
they no longer make them.  Maybe that same project could be
updated using a newer DSP Evaluation Board and new software, and
made available to the Ham community.  (Motorola lists the chip
used in that board as "no longer recommended for new products",
though not yet officially terminated, and indicate that there is
a newer board that is superior in performance and fully upward
compatible.)

Just a dream, I guess, knowing how busy *I* am these days, and
I know few people who really have a lot of idle time on their
hands.  But I guess I can dream, right?

73
John Toscano, Pharm.D.
KBØZEV, EN34js
(Je ne parle q'un petit peu de Francais.)