Re: Mir bounce

Hi Jean-Louis,

I have noticed that sometimes when I track MIR in FM mode that my squelch
opens even though MIR is not transmitting.  When this was happening, I
moved my beam left and right from the MIR position and the squelch closed
again.  It only opened when I was pointed at MIR and this "open" condition
followed MIR across the sky.  This happening was also noticed by Junior De
Castro in Brazil.  There was no communications heard, just a barely open
squelch with noise.

I believe this was caused by the squelch circuits in the FM receiver
detecting a threshold quietning of the receiver because of the hundreds of
earth stations calling MIR for a QSO.  The external antenna on MIR may have
been excited by all the rf from the ground and reradiating a small portion
of it back again.  This same condition has been used by some to receive TV
signals behind a mountain range by putting back to back tv antennas on the
mountain top and pointing the receiver antenna at them.  At any rate, what
ever is causing it, I believe there is some reradiation of ground station
RF.  I think it would take a pretty good TX/RX setup to be able to
establish even one way communications.  Perhaps CW would be worth a try
with a moon bounce class station.

--
73, Roy

Internet: w0sl@amsat.org