Mir bounce

> > All of the Amateur Radio equipment on Mir is currently disconnected,
> > however, have you tried to bounce your signal off of Mir?
> > It called Earth-Mir-Earth?

Last summer, I organized a Mir bounce experiment.
The team was composed of about 10 skilled french hams and we performed many
skeds.
We were using AO-10 class equipment working on 145 MHz, that is 50 to 80 W
RF output to 10 or 12 el yagi beams.
Preliminary link budgets were showing that a little positive S/N ratio could
be obtained (with narrow band CW) if the equivalent surface or MIR was 100
square meters or more on the 2 meters band.
My own reception chain was including a 11 el circularly polarized yagi beam,
followed by a SSB Electronic AsGa preamplifier and an ICOM IC-821H
transceiver. That equipment allows me to clearly hear some Moon bounce
stations.
I used FFT tools like Spectrogram and CoolEdit 2000 as an help to detect
tiny sigs in background noise.
I must admit that we NEVER get any positive results (yes, we took the double
Doppler effect into account).
This pessimistic test report is just to inform any future MIR bounce
candidate about the minimum rig performance he has to deal with.

We plan to start a new campain in the next few months, with more RF power
and larger aerials.
We hope to be ready before MIR lands  ...

Cheers

Jean-Louis F6AGR