Re: FM Satellite Etiquette question....

on 11/21/00 5:42 PM, denmorr@bellsouth.net at denmorr@bellsouth.net wrote:

>> You ARE trying to justify it.
>>
>> 1. "...we are totally blocked for 15 minutes each by a  club that includes
>> an AMSAT Vice President."
>> 2. "All we were trying for was ONE contact for the bonus points."
>> 3. "The offending station made contact after contact contest style."
>>
>> Are either of these a reason for a violation of FCC rules?

First of all running 200 Watts of power into stacked beams is NOT a
violation of FCC rules.  FCC rules state that one must run the minimum power
NECESSARY TO MAKE A RELIABLE contact.

If you cannot make a reliable contact using 100 Watts because someone else
is capturing the bird, the there is no rule against running 200 Watts to try
to make a reliable contact.

The bottom line is that the offending station Dennis is complaining about
was way out of line.  If other stations up their muscle to try to overcome
that, there is no violation of FCC rules.

Situations like this is why satellites are not normally used for contesting.
The resources are too finite.  And besides, why make a jillion contacts on
the satellites on FD?  You only get bonus points for the 1st QSO and ones
beyond that don't buy you anything over any other QSOs.

73,

Jon
NA9D
Jon Ogden