Re: AO-40 status report by DJ4ZC

on 11/21/00 3:42 PM, Tony Langdon at tlangdon@atctraining.com.au wrote:

>> Watch this status report coming over the K, L, and M blocks of
>> AO-40 telemetry from Karl, DJ4ZC:
>
> Excellent to see the status report, at least we now know what the score is.
> Hope something can be done with the 70cm Tx, and that there's no other
> problems with the bird.

Well, if there was a transmitter that I would prefer to fail it would be the
70cm transmitter!  Mode U/V has long been considered the "primary" mode of
communication as many stations are set up for it (old mode B).  It would
have been much worse had the 2m or S band transmitters failed.

I don't know, but I have a hunch that the control crew thinks that the
problem is in the omni-directional antenna for 70cm.  Why do I think that?
Well, the L band uplink is on ALONG with the U band uplink.  Why would both
be needed if the U band was working well?  Secondly, Karl did mention that
they are going to be trying to work with the transmitter using the high gain
antennas.  If the transmitter was truly dead, it would show up in the
telemetry.  I believe there are telemetry numbers showing the current drain
of each band.  If U band TX is turned on and the current drain is what it
should be yet no signal is heard, one can indeed suspect that there is
something wrong with the antenna.  Anyhow, I hope that's all this is.

Just my guess.

73,

Jon
NA9D