AMSAT OSCAR 40 **STATUS REPORT FROM DJ4ZC** (2000-11-20) via AO-40

AMSAT OSCAR 40  **STATUS REPORT FROM DJ4ZC**  (2000-11-20)

1. AMSAT OSCAR 40 had a perfect launch on Nov. 16 and was
   injected into a nominal orbit.

2. Transmission of telemetry from OSCAR 40 on 70cm was expected
   3h after launch. But we ran into a problem with the 70cm
   Tx. Consequently the spacecraft was switched to use the 2m
   middle beacon as downlink for telemetry. This required a
   "repeater program" in IHU-2 which was uploaded.

3. After communication was established, the health of
   OSCAR 40 was analysed and everything testable at this stage
   except for the 70cm Tx was found to be nominal and fine.

4. The attitude control system then was calibrated and torque
   operations were started to take the attitude to 270/0.  This
   reorientation should be finished in a few days. Then we are
   ready for the first planned orbit change (400N-mtr) resulting
   in 50000 km apogee altitude. The attitude will also allow a...
   thorough study of the 70cm Tx problem with the hi-gain ant.

5. The two 2400 MHz transmitters were operated and are ok.

6. Pictures from the separation sequence are being downloaded
   and will shortly be available on our website. There we will
   also show the test-schedule for some first amateur operations.

7. Steps after 1st orbit change: test the electric propulsion
   system and then use it to further increase appogee altitude
   using the arcjet before the big i-change.

   --73s Karl--

(Copied from A0-40 telemetry and posted by Eric WB1HBU eac@shore.net)