Dedication of AO-40

With AO-40 now in orbit and in the process of commissioning, I had a
thought.  AO-40 has rightly been given a dedication in memory of Werner
Haas.  Since commissioning will proceed slowly over the next 9 months or
more, perhaps we might consider giving AO-40 a specific name, in memory
of Verner Haas and the mission of the satellite.

Once AO-40 is declared fully operational with solar panels deployed and
happily in final orbit, why not christen AO-40 with a name along the
lines of HASS (Haas Amateur Satellite Station)?  I am sure others could
come up with better combinations and I encourage them to do so.

AO-40 has a potential to serve the amateur community and the public
(schools, universities... etc.) like no amateur satellite ever has.
Despite its long gestation period it is a quantum leap in integration
and sophistication certainly within the amateur satellite field and in
some ways beyond.

Shouldn’t we consider giving it a name that reflects, reinforces and
recognizes the commitment of the builders and the support of the
international amateur radio community?

We name other satellites after folks like Hubbell, Cassini, Chandra...
why not name AO-40 in honor of Werner Haas?

--
Bronson Crothers
LASST

Phone: 207 581 2252