Re: AO-40 Final Orbit

>From: John Mock <kd6pag@qsl.net>

>Does that mean the northern hemisphere won't get any perigee passes, so those
>with minimal equipment able to work AO-10 at perigee will have to upgrade to
>work AO-40??
>                             -- KD6PAG  (Networking Old-Timer, Satellite QRP)

John, etal:

I suggest you get a copy of P3G to P3D.  Lots of info on the expected
capability of AO-40.

For instance on third page of the first article: "Phase 3D, A New Era for
Amateur Radio" there is a comparison of downlink signal levels between
AO-13 and P3D [table 3]:

On 2m P3D will have a net signal improvement of 4.7 dB over those of AO-13.
On 70cm, 13 dB
On 13 cm, 27 dB

What that means is [probably] you will need that much less antenna gain for
P3D!

Further on in the booklet it gives typical uplink/downlink requirements:
i.e.  for 2m downlink a dipole above a ground plane will produce ~ 15 dB SNR

Of course these are generalizations on predicted performance.  But if
observations of the 2m beacon are any indication, AO-40 will be a much
easier satellite to work [translation: smaller ground station
requirements].  "...will I have to upgrade to work AO-40?"...maybe.
Depends on what you are using.

Want to analyze it more?  Get the book and read it for yourself! ;-)
I know I'm a mean old SOB, but I think we should support Amsat!  Besides,
then you'll be an "x-spurt" like me ;-)

Ed
Obviously, now that the "bird" is up, there will be a lot of these
questions.  Hopefully, articles answering these questions are forthcoming
in the journal and ham magazines.